Tuesday, August 3, 2010

First words

I've finally done it.

I've finally joined the world of citizen journalists.

The only difference is that I'm one in real life, too. Yes, I work at a small-town weekly newspaper, reporting on the happenings and have become known to most kids younger than 13 as "the newspaper lady".

I  used to have a blog back about 10 years ago. I then tried to keep some writing on Windows Live in 2006, but I rediscovered that blog several weeks ago and decided perhaps I should try to do something again. (Being that Windows Live is just so yesterday, though, why not try something totally new?)

Who knows? Perhaps it will be a passing fad, perhaps my week has been such that I feel like getting words out on a page that won't be broadcasted in newsprint – be they mildly entertaining or not – or maybe it's because I enjoyed reading my uncle's blog on blogspot.com before he passed away in January.

But for whatever reason, I've started another blog.

For those reading now, let me introduce myself:

• I'm in my 20s. A week after my last birthday, I removed the year I was born from my Facebook profile for several reasons, but mostly because ageism doesn't only apply to the elderly.

• I've been married for three years on Aug. 18. No, we don't have kids yet. I was told when we got married that there was "no way" we would make it to three to five years before conceiving, but unless  I give birth in the next two weeks (and I would hope I'd know by now), I guess we'll make it to three years. I could swear I married Prince Charming, but I don't recall kissing any frogs to do so! (Oh wait, maybe there were a couple... but they certainly didn't transform!)

• It baffles me as to why there needs to be an end to the "honeymoon" stage, and why, out of 100 quotes about marriage, 90 of them will be about the pain of living with an individual and the institution marriage is. Falling in love is for now, choosing to love is forever....

• I enjoy reading, writing, music, developing relationships (perhaps that's a grown-up way of saying "hanging out with friends"?) and I think I might enjoy gardening if it weren't for the weeds.

• We have a five-pound ball of energy that lives with us in the form of a Pomeranian. We call her Vixie but I haven't asked her what she calls herself. Probably "princess".

• My days consist of... sitting in an office on Mondays laying out the paper, and the rest of the week looks nothing like the week before. I take pictures, interview people, run around covering spot news and scheduled events, and then write about it. It's like being in school full-time, because I have to learn a little bit about everything to write about it properly!

• I also teach piano to too many students but enjoy it far too much to quit, and have recently taken up the position as youth leader in our town. We collaborated six of the churches together to make a mass youth group... and are now trying to keep up with the numbers. Six kids at one church and six kids at another didn't add to 50 last time I checked, but they're awesome teens...

Beyond that, I'm sure my posts will shine light on different aspects of who I am here and there. But isn't that the way one mostly gets to know a person – one little bit at a time?

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is awesome that you are blogging! I used to blog quite a bit through my teen years and then somehow wrote less and less until I totally forget I was even a blogger! I am almost inspired to take it up again...almost. Maybe if I can find some worthwhile things to say I will start it up again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Monkey Girl -

    I don't know if I have anything worthwhile to say!! lol I actually contemplated not advertising this anywhere, but I knew eventually I would be annoyed that no one was commenting (even though no one knew about it) so I thought I may as well put it out there right away that I'd started blogging again.

    I would say go for it :)

    ReplyDelete